The state of Florida is known for its extensive medical marijuana program which allows patients who qualify to apply for licensed medical marijuana consumption with great ease. However, the whole process can get a lot costly at times, especially if you donât play your cards right and simply prefer to go with the flow.
Eligibility: Before You Start, Ensure You Meet The Eligibility Criteria
- Must be older than 18. Patients who are not yet 18 will be categorized as âminorsâ and can only apply for a affordable medical marijuana card in FL with the help of a designated caregiver.
- You also need to provide proof of your permanent residence in Florida. You can submit documents like a state-issued ID card, driverâs license, etc. Temporary Florida residents can only apply for a seasonal pass.
- Provide a medical marijuana recommendation signed and issued by a certified medical marijuana doctor clearly stating that youâre diagnosed with one of the qualifying medical conditions and are eligible for medical marijuana-based treatment.
Choose a Qualified Physician
Choosing a qualified physician for your medical marijuana appointment in Florida is important for two reasons,
- The physician will be responsible for providing you with a legitimate medical marijuana recommendation.
- Apart from the $75 application, the major part of the price youâll be paying for a affordable medical marijuana card in Florida will be the physicianâs appointment fee.
Once you have selected a medical physician that you believe suits you best both in terms of appointment cost and availability, it is time for your initial consultation. Make sure you discuss all your health-related issues with your doctor and provide any kind of medical records requested.
Register with the OMMU
Once your doctor approves your medical marijuana recommendation, they will enter your credentials in the OMMU (Office of Medical Marijuana Use) registry. Once that is done, you can submit your medical marijuana application with the OMMU portal and pay the application fee of $75.
Wait for Approval
Once you have successfully submitted your application with the OMMU, it will take around 5 to 10 business days for the departments to make a decision on your application. Once approved, youâll be further notified regarding the process of receiving your Florida medical marijuana card.
Purchase from a Licensed Dispensary
The Florida medical marijuana card gives you the right to purchase medical marijuana products from a state-authorized dispensary. The staff at such dispensaries is usually trained to ensure that you get the right strain. Plus, the products available at such dispensaries are of top quality that too with comparatively affordable price tags.
Tips to Save Money
The only person who is guaranteed to manage the whole medical marijuana application process in Florida is the one who has done his/her due research. Available physicians, particularly medical marijuana strains, etc. You should research it all.
2. Ask for Discounts
At times, medical marijuana physicians do offer discounts to new patients for a genuine reason. You just need to make sure that you can present your case for a discount well.
3. Group Deals
Thereâs always a prominent chance of getting a discount from a physician or a dispensary when you’re making the moves in the form of a group.
4. Stay Updated
Make sure that youâre fully aware of any policy change within the state of Florida that can help you save money throughout your medical marijuana application process.
From what Kif has experienced and observed, the only way to get a legitimate medical marijuana card in Florida at a cheaper rate is by doing your research and staying updated with the latest trends. As it is said, an early bird catches the worm.