According to the research, one person loses their life every 34 seconds in the U.S. due to cardiovascular disease. In 2020, around 697,000 people in the U.S. lost their battle of life against cardiovascular diseases.
Heart attacks are mostly common in people with poor lifestyles or obesity. Poor diet and lack of exercise are all other contributing factors to different types of heart diseases. In this article, we will investigate how medical marijuana plays a role in treating heart diseases. But, letâs first discuss the signs, symptoms, and types of heart diseases.
Signs, Symptoms, and Types of Heart Disease
Itâs important to detect the symptoms early so that the risk of getting heart attacks can be minimized. The symptoms can be detected early by yearly physical examinations, follow-ups, and routine eye checkups.
On the other hand, risk factors like smoking, high blood pressure, obesity, and diabetes must be prevented to save yourself from getting a heart attack. Before the symptoms get worse, you should observe the symptoms and contact your healthcare immediately.
Patients with heart disease may experience discomfort, pain, burning, heaviness, and a squeezing sensation in the chest. Many people confuse this type of pain with heartburn or indigestion which is a separate condition. This mistake can be life-threatening and if it can not be treated on time, it can cause severe health problems.
The other different types of heart diseases include aortic disease, coronary heart disease, stroke, and TIAs. If you are experiencing any of these then itâs an alarming situation and you should consult your doctor.
How Are Heart Diseases Currently Treated?
Heart diseases can be treated by changing their lifestyle. This can be done by eating less salt and refined sugar, quitting smoking or alcohol, and exercising daily. If lifestyle changes do not work for you then your healthcare may prescribe medications. Common medications for treating heart disease include:
- Blood thinners like warfarin
- Antiplatelet agents like aspirin or clopidogrel stop blood from sticking together
- Angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors like benazepril (Lotensin)
- Angiotensin receptor-neprilysin inhibitors (ARNIs)
Is Cannabis a Good Treatment Option for Heart Disease?
Although no research shows the direct impact of cannabis on heart disease, it can help in treating other heart disease-related symptoms:
- Patients with cardiovascular diseases are most likely to experience anxiety, stress, and insomnia. With the help of cannabis, these effects can easily be reduced and it can improve the patientâs quality of life.
- Cannabis can help in treating metabolic syndrome which includes high blood pressure, high blood sugar, excess body fat, and high cholesterol. According to a study, emerging adults who are consuming cannabis are less likely to get any metabolic syndrome as compared to patients who are not consuming cannabis.
Useful Cannabinoids and Terpenes
The following are the effective cannabinoids and terpenes for treating heart diseases:
- Some studies show that THC can be useful in treating cardiovascular diseases but more information is needed on dosage.
- With the help of CBD, disorders like anxiety, depression, and inflammation can be reduced.
- Myrcene has antioxidant properties which can help in protecting the heart against heart diseases.
How Cannabis can help against heart attack
There is a lot of debate going around about how cannabis can help against a heart attack. Some studies show that older adults with hypertension noticed a drop in their blood pressure after the cannabis administration. This was observed due to the anti-inflammatory and stress-reducing properties of cannabinoids. The studies also show that the risk of cardiovascular diseases can also be decreased by taking high flavonoids. Cannabis consists of flavonoids which show anti-inflammatory properties and it is 30 times more powerful than aspirin.
The factors like amount of dosage, consumption method, and the patientâs age also play an important role. More research is needed to conclude how cannabis can help the patient against heart attack.
There is mixed evidence of cannabis efficacy in treating heart diseases. Some studies show the positive effects while others show the negative effects therefore it is highly recommended to seek advice from your healthcare before trying anything.