It is one of those questions that has been often asked by medical marijuana enthusiasts from all over the country. âIs it okay if I mix melatonin and weed?â
Well, from what we know, it should be okay to do something like this. But as both melatonin and weed are known to be super effective against insomnia, the combined effects can become quite hard to handle.
What exactly is melatonin?
Melatonin is actually a hormone secreted by the human body to regulate the bodyâs natural biological clock or the sleep-wake cycle. In the US, melatonin is sold as an over-the-counter (OTC) dietary supplement that helps regulate the bodyâs sleep cycles.
In humans, melatonin is produced in the pineal gland (a secretion gland in the brain) responsible for the sleep-wake cycle, regulating cardiac rhythms, and maintaining blood pressure.
Studies have revealed that the production of melatonin in the human body is inversely related to increasing age as in later stages of life, the sleep cycle gets disrupted for the very same reason. Excessive blue light exposure is also known to disrupt melatonin production in the body.
General uses of melatoninÂ
Melatonin is known to treat the following sleep-related disorders,
- Jet Lag.
- Shift work sleep disorders that are very common in night workers or individuals who work in shifts.
- The N24 (Non-24 Hour Sleep-Wake Disorder). The disorder is a circadian rhythm disorder in which a personâs biological clock fails to adapt to the 24-hour time system resulting in individuals feeling sleepy later and later till the point where they start developing sleep issues. This disorder is pretty common in individuals who are blind or suffering from some other health condition.
Mixing melatonin and cannabis supplements: Pros & Cons
Letâs talk about the potential pros first,
- Mixing melatonin with cannabis products is a great way to enjoy a good sleep.
- Cannabis is known to naturally boost the production of melatonin in the body which allows you to lower the melatonin intake to get the desired results.
- Thereâs no scientifically proven harm when it comes to mixing melatonin with weed.
Even with all the added benefits, there are some cons as well associated with mixing melatonin and cannabis,
- There is a chance of experiencing adverse effects of mixing melatonin and cannabis along with a possibility of melatonin overdose.
- Melatonin increases the amount of time spent in the REM sleep but cannabis is known to decrease the amount of time spent in the REM sleep acting opposite to one another.
- Melatonin is not ideal for long-term insomnia or sleep disorders management and mixing it with cannabis wonât remain beneficial.
Why mixing melatonin and weed can be beneficial?
Consuming excessive melatonin and cannabis dosages may result in an overdose of one of them, but that is something that is not life-threatening.
At most, youâll start feeling groggier than usual in the morning or may feel a bit nauseous. Except this, the benefits of mixing melatonin and cannabis are quite impressive if youâre using both products for short-term sleep management with guaranteed results.