Table of contents
Yes, both recreational and medical marijuana is legal in Detroit with the state of Michigan launching licensed marijuana dispensaries for the residents back in 2019. Both medical and recreational marijuana groups have the same possession limit and can purchase similar products.
Is Recreational Marijuana Legal in Detroit?
If youâre 21 or older, you can legally possess up to 2.5 ounces of marijuana for recreational use and have the right to grow up to 12 cannabis plants at home as well. This makes Michigan one of the most progressive US states when it comes to marijuana legalization. The state also allows you to store up to 10 ounces of marijuana products back at home, only if youâre mature enough.
Is Medical Marijuana Legal in Detroit?
Yes, the state of Michigan launched the state medical marijuana program back in 2008. The residents of Detroit and other cities can apply for a state-issued medical marijuana card if they are diagnosed with a qualifying medical condition. The possession limit for medical users is the same for recreational users. However, the limit can be extended by licensed physicians under certain conditions.
Penalties for Marijuana Possession
- Possessing more than 2.5 ounces but less than 5 ounces of marijuana is a civil offense punishable by a $500 fine.
- Possessing more than 5 ounces of marijuana is a misdemeanor punishable by the same $500 fine for first-time offenders.
- Selling marijuana without a license is a felony punishable by up to 15 years in prison and up to $10,000,000 in fines.
Is Weed Decriminalized in Detroit?
Yes, weed is now decriminalized in Detroit and other Michigan cities as long as youâre possessing the legally allowed amount of marijuana.
Future of Cannabis Legalization in Detroit
As of 2023, the Michigan marijuana program is quite an extensive one and the state does offer similar possession limits for both medical and recreational marijuana users. In the future, we are very sure that the program will be further expanded for the benefit of state residents.
Detroit Marijuana Laws In 2023
Both recreational and medical marijuana are legal to possess/consume in Michigan state.
Legally, possession of up to 2.5 ounces of marijuana is allowed with the right to plant 12 cannabis plants.
Possessing more than 2.5 ounces of marijuana can cause criminal charges to be pressed against involved individuals depending upon the amount of marijuana found.
Can I Grow My Cannabis In Detroit?
- Yes, the state of Michigan does allow its residents (21 years or older) to grow up to 12 cannabis plants.
Is Smoking Marijuana Legal In Detroit?
- The state of Michigan hasnât yet mentioned anything regarding smoking marijuana in public. But the better thing to do is to refrain from consuming marijuana products in public, especially if youâre thinking about smoking.
Can I Buy Marijuana Products Online?
- Yes, you can. The marijuana market in Michigan state is blooming and cities like Detroit are filled with distributors and service providers who allow online purchases of marijuana products.